As I move through the process of having my new home built and the idea of decorating my new home, I’m finding my crafty, creative side coming forth more than expected. Unfortunately, my taste is more expensive than my budget, so it’s good that I can turn to my creativity and use old neglected pieces as materials for new improved items. And you can too!
What is Upcycling?
Upcycling takes repurposing to a whole new level. When you upcycle an old piece of artwork, furniture, or household item you transition it from being obsolete to functional. These are the items that tend to turn into family heirlooms. Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing. But, be careful… you may just not be able to control your urge to upcycle the whole house.
Furniture pieces are some of the most popular items to be upscaled or repurposed in an entirely different way than the piece was originally intended. Check these ideas out!
- Antique Dressers – Turned into kitchen cabinets and counters.
- Nightstands – Transitioned into End Tables or Planters
- Coffee Tables – Transformed into Ottoman’s
These are only three of the great ideas you can come up with or find on the web to preserve an old dilapidated family favorite for many years of additional use once it is no longer functional in its original capacity. Or, if you don’t have an old piece of furniture lying around, they are also great solutions for upcycling cheap or inexpensive furniture items that just may not be your design style into something you love.
Cherished Household Items
Maybe you have an old cheese grater or set of wooden spoons that you inherited from a close friend, parent, or grandparent lying around that you don’t use but can’t bring yourself to discard. Why leave them in a box or drawer when you can upcycle them into an everyday item that you do use regularly or decorative piece that you can look at every day and remember that special person.
- Wooden Spoon Cabinet Door Pulls – Probably one of the easiest and most impactful decorative changes is using wooden spoons as cabinet and drawer handles. All you need is a little bit of skill with a drill, a few spacers, long screws, and nuts to transform your kitchen’s appearance.
- Antique Globe Light Fixtures – What better way to showcase your childhood globe than by making it into a light fixture. It’s the kind of lighting that takes a child’s bedroom or an adult study to chic versus shabby.
- Cheese Grater Lantern – Cheese graters are more versatile than you may think. They can easily be transformed into wall hangings, light fixtures, candle holders, and a lot more.
Once you catch the upcycling bug, you’ll see new opportunities for reusing old or obsolete items at every corner. So, get started cleaning out those closets and surveying your storage units for your next project. If you don’t have a storage unit, you’re probably going to need one to store all of your new-found crafting projects. Call Browning Park Mini Storage today to get the unit you need.